Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Bindweed, with it's pretty blue flowers and attractive leaves, doesn't seem like it would pose a problem. I'd never seen it before last year, when we moved to our new home. I liked the way it wove around the fence post, and the bright blue flowers are delightful to look at. I didn't know it's name until my sister the horticulturist identified it for me. I had, for the most part, been letting it grow.
The name gives a clue to the problem with bindweed, as I found out later in the season, when I kept getting tripped. The vines wrap around everything- and will tangle my feet if I'm not careful. This year, I've learned to recognize little sprouts of bindweed, and have been diligently pulling the dainty leaves wherever I see them. I could leave them on the back fence- they really are pretty to look at. But the vines are not inclined to stay on the fence- they reach out quickly, grasp hold of any plant remotely within reach, and wrap their choking vines around and around whatever they can.
Because bindweed has been allowed to grow freely in my garden for at least a few years, I will have to be vigilant to weed it out- probably for years to come.
It's not too hard to see the analogy. Some sin seems innocent- even attractive. I let it grow until one day I realize its presence is choking the life out of me.
"If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." Whew!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home