Thursday, April 15, 2010

Fragmented Focus
When I was younger, I remember that I could “multi-task” with the best of them.

I could happily tend to my first born son (a child who rarely slept!) while kneading bread, cooking dinner, and talking on the phone. I used to thrive under pressure- moving from one task to the next, and feeling that I could accomplish everything I needed to.

I’ve changed. I’m not sure why, but now, if I have three things to do, it seems that I bumble them all. I start one thing and leave it to begin another, but forget to come back. I leave a pot simmering on the stove only to find the contents scorched an hour later when I walk by the smoke-filled kitchen on my way to grab something I need for a job I’ve begun in another room.

I’m easily distracted. If no one in my family interrupts me, I am totally able to distract myself, leaving a barely started project to find a book or internet site on an unrelated topic that has suddenly pricked my interest.

I don’t know if this is a result of many years of frequent interruption, hormones, or simply the wormy fruit of my own lack of self-discipline, but I do know that this fragmented approach to life leads to a piling up of clutter in both my living space and my mind.

Jesus said, “Martha, Martha. You are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed.”

Only one thing!

Yesterday, I decided to keep that in mind. I started my day with Jesus. I talked to Him, and I listened. I worshiped. And I asked for help. Sometimes that’s all I need to do.

I had a good day yesterday. I started several tasks and saw them through to completion- or at least, finished the part that I wanted to for the day. It felt good.

So again, today, I take that time to be quiet. I ask for help, because I have a lot to do today. And I look to see how the Lord will help me cut through the clutter in my life so that I can focus on one thing at a time. Only one thing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home